The coming theme of the National Crime Writing Month Blog is "50 Ways to Kill Your Lover".
At the risk of jumping the gun, committing murder on paper isn't as easy as it looks. Here are 7 ways NOT to kill your lover.
- Shoot your lover point blank - GSR is a bitch to get out of your clothes.
- Shoot your lover at a distance with a hand gun - unless you have practice, chances are you'll miss.
- Stab your lover through the heart - again, not as easy as it looks. You have to get past the ribs and actually find the heart.
- Stab your lover anywhere without making a mess. While inflicting a mortal wound isn't too difficult. It's much harder to stab without causing a long and noisy death.
- Bludgeon your lover anywhere without making a mess. It isn't just that blood splatter. It's the negative images where parts of your body gets in the way of the blood splatter. You can get rid of your clothes, but its hard to get rid of walls.
- Strangle, smother, or any other method that requires brute strength unless your murderer is very strong or your victim is very weak or incapacitated. (There's a reason women traditionally use poison except...)
- Drug overdose - if you want an instant death. Drugs and ingested poisons take time to work. They're also messy because the body tries to purge the toxins. I found a way around this in my next book, but first I had to be lectured by a medical friend of mine who read an early draft. (More about that when I write for the NCWM blog.)