Thursday 21 July 2011

Motivation

Where I live in Canada we are in the dog days of summer. This week the weather is hotter here than in Florida. We all like to relax in the summer, sit on the patio and drink a cool one, but as writer's we still have to produce our pages.

I have several methods to stay motivated. I write every day.  Yes, every day. My friend, Cindy Carroll, started a group where we have to write 100 words every day for 100 days. Sounds easy, does't it but in reality it's the hardest thing I've ever done. If you miss writing your 100 words for a day, then you have to start at day one all over again. It took me the better part of a year to get my 100 words for 100 days. I'm now trained to write every day.

The local chapter of Romance Writers of America have Word Count Wednesday. We post our word count for the week and our other accomplishements. Have we submitted to an agent or editor, have we gotten a rejection or a contract? I find it invirgorating to see what other writer's have accomplished in a week.

These groups have inspired me and keep me writing.
So tell me, what motivates you to write?

5 comments:

  1. Well maybe to get out of the heat! But really its to put the stories in my head on paper, to get those people walking around, sipping a cool one, falling in love, learning their craft, making friends, joking around, eating freezies, flirting. I love writing because it lets me do this. Motivation? To finish my first draft. Actually though inspiration and motivation come from our fellow writers and this blog, thank you Janet and Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should say thank you all for contributing to this blog. I read aall you posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. A self-imposed deadline!!! I've vowed to get my book finished by the fall, so rain or shine, heat or cold, I'm writing. And these days, there's no better place to write than near the closest source of AC. Bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Heather for seeking out AC. Besides, winter or summer I write best in a coffee shop. There are fewer distraction and I feel I have an obligation to justify my Grande Americano with at least 500 words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Karen: I think I might try the 100 words a day for 100 days. Ironically,getting published has left me with less time for writing. I need to get my daily word count up again.

    ReplyDelete